Monday, June 15, 2009

rambling in my fatigue

I'm not avoiding writing. Not much, at least. No more so than I'm avoiding everything else. There is just a pervasive lack of time for anything other than the necessities. Do I squeeze in a workout, or write? Do I have the energy for either? Do I even have the desire?

Spent the weekend at a string of unavoidable food events. I have yet to master saying no to the bounty of the buffet. Is it a lack of discipline? Gluttony? Guilty pleasure? Joy in God's culinary creativity? All I know is that Helen's lemon bars made me happy. And so I ate several. In addition to my German Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, which also made me happy. In addition to the "Texas Caviar," which also made me happy. In addition to...

Food makes me happy. I have yet to determine if this is good or bad. What it does to my body, however, at least in the current quantities, is decidedly NOT good. But here's the thing... one lemon bar is just not enough. So where's the limit? Thirty-eight years, and I've yet to figure this one out.

Lemon bars and chocolate chip cookies and chips and salsa--happy, colorful moments in a gray, melancholy life. Without them, lots of them, what is left?

2 comments:

  1. I went to the doctor this week and my blood sugar is elevated so I have to watch my carb intake. It will be a horrid existance - perusing sweet goodies on buffets with painful, hopeless longing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorie I really like this blog. Its like a deeper look inside you. I wish you the best with all of this. I feel the same way. Or at least think similar things. Like I have to eat, but how much is enough? whats too much? bah! food is sooo good.

    ReplyDelete